Monday, June 22, 2009

It just may be too hot to blog this week....

Never underestimate an Oklahoma summer day. I thought it would be hot and boring and therefore not a thing to blog about today. I was wrong. This afternoon I noticed a tractor mowing the campground behind us. I really thought he must be horribly hot…it is 103 right now and I’ve no idea what the heat index is. So later I look out my back window and I see smoke and it’s black. I know black means it’s burning, white means water has been added to it. This smoke is really black. I go outside and I see the tractor on fire...

and a grass fire just beyond. This is nearly in my back yard! I was going to call 911...

Then I saw the farmers moving hay faster than that fire could burn. And then...


Our volunteer fire department showed up and kept on top of it. There is a wind today (when is there not?) so the fire kept sparking up and going out only to spark again.


Mowing in 100+ degree weather is never a good idea. Think I'll go put a sprinkler in the back yard.

3 comments:

jeanine washington said...

wow! I probably would have been going crazy. that was way to close to home for any kind of comfort. whew!

shawna said...

i LOVE how you documented all of this with our camera. i keep my camera in my car now...and wow, what an exciting sight. hope no one was hurt!

Joan said...

As far as I know there were no injuries.

I am getting in the mode of photographer since I got my new camera. It seems I am always saying to myself "I need to shoot that!"