Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Ten things I want my daughters to know


My daughters are getting bigger, older, smarter, sweeter and at times it seems they are drifting away. Sometimes the need to hold them close, impart wisdom and teach lessons overwhelms me. There is so much I want to tell them...


1. It is OK to be exactly who you are. Texting, boys, Hollister clothes, Facebook...all those things that your friends are into are not important. What is important is that you are just who you are…legoes, books, your own style, your love of art and animals, and your preference for family over friends is normal, sweet and precious.


2. Make-up is overrated. And...
3. Smoking looks stupid, stinks and will eventual kill you.


4. Learn to make a really good meal. You may want to impress a new boyfriend, new in-laws, or simply feed your soul a special meal.


5. Feel the fear and do it anyway. If you’re afraid of something, and it keeps you from experiencing something amazing, then honor the fear and push forward. You won’t regret it. Act in a play, travel the world, and enter your art in a contest. Don’t let fear of failure hold you back.



6. Loving someone and being loved should always feel good.



7. Let go… When something or someone just doesn’t work in you life anymore it is ok to let go. Sometimes we have to let go of things that bring us pain. Sometimes we are let go of and we have to accept that.


8. Don’t be afraid to cry.


9. Don’t settle for less. Since the day you were born there has been one man who has loved you fiercely. Please do not settle for a husband who doesn’t try to love just as fierce.



10. Love the planet and do all you can to leave it better for your children.

6 comments:

a corgi said...

that is great advice! I'm assuming you'll share this post with them; I think as they grow they will really appreciate all the wisdom you have imparted here

betty

Joan said...

Than you Betty. I will share this with them. They love reading the blog and seeing if their picture made it that day. I wrote this in doc form and will save it for later reminders. =)

shawna said...

and dont be afraid to say "no". i think we women say yes too much, put too much on our plates and try to save the world, all in the same minute. we are good at multi tasking, but heck, even when you say no, the world keeps going and everything seems to turn out alright.

Joan said...

Definitely one to add to the list Shawna. I agree, we say "yes" without even thinking.

Marilee Burks said...

Joan, what a wonderful post! I know you as a sweet girl from school who I shared my first High School Dance experience with. I love getting to know you as mom, wife, daughter, and friend through your blog. Thanks for sharing. Marilee

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Hi Joan, thanks so much for visiting my new blog and leaving a comment! I really appreciate it. What a truly amazing blog you have here. I was particularly touched by this post. Having 3 daughters myself, I know how important it is to impart as much Godly wisdom in them while they are young as I possibly can. Their childhood is so very short and we sometimes seem to forget that. Then, one day we look up and they are graduating from high school! It is amazing how quickly they grow up!

Thank you for this post. It is a good reminder to us all to slow down and take time to use those special times for 'teachable moments'. Our kids are always *watching* what we do, not just what we say. So we need to be sure we are 'walking the walk', not just 'talking the talk'.

Hope you have a great weekend and I hope to see you back over on my site soon!

Blessings,

Teresa <><