Monday, August 10, 2009

My Dad...

A year ago my dad was still alive and we flew out to Oregon to see him. We hadn't planned on going anywhere last summer, the summer of 2007 we had driven out to see all the family and we felt a summer at home was due. But dad's cancer was relentless and as we flew out there I knew this could very well be my last chance to see my dad alive.
Our visit was short, but sweet and easy. We spent nearly all our time with Dad and my step-mom, Cherie. The last time I saw my dad was as we drove away, headed to our hotel for few hours of sleep before our very early morning flight home.

The sun was just beginning to set; the first few moments of dusk. Dad and Cherie waved from their driveway as we slowly backed out. I said to my girls, "Watch, grandpa will cry." And he did...

5 comments:

Carrie said...

March 21, 2009 was the last Family dinner Dad attended. Since he was having more bad than good days, Terry suggested we have a party. Dad tasted almost everything even spicy foods (which he loves). As we walked Dad to the car I overheard him say "this was a good day".
This brings tears to my eyes each time I remember that comment, I knew his time with us here on Earth was nearing an end.

the.fortes said...

Wow! How bittersweet and difficult. Sorry for your loss, but I am glad you got to see him.

a corgi said...

so glad you did get to see him before he passed away and that your girls will probably remember him; so sad that he passed away as I'm sure you miss him so very much; hugs to you

betty

anne said...

I am sorry for the loss of your Dad but it seems you have some beautiful memories to hold on to. I will continue to pray for you and know that your Dad is looking down from Heaven and smiling at you and so happy for you for your precious family and that you are a dedicated teacher help children learn and grow. You are so strong and a great example for all to see

Ed said...

I sure miss him!