Friday, August 07, 2009

Tax Free Weekend

A lot of communities have a tax free weekend this time of year. I usually do not intentionally shop those weekends because 1. I don't like crazy crowds and 2. I don't usually buy enough to make the crazy crowds worth the trip.

But last weekend I shopped at Coldwater Creek for the first time and I fell in love. Now I have known of this store for ages since my brother is some sort of corporate manager but I have never shopped there. I bought a wonderful denim jacket and a matching necklace. It wasn't cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either. The clerk boxed my necklace and wrapped my jacket in tissue. Then she put it in a cute bag tied up with grosgrain ribbon. I felt special!

I'm contemplating risking the crowds to shop this store this weekend. Do you shop the tax free weekends?

8 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I'm like you where I usually don't buy enough to really have the 7% make that much of a difference. But the stores are smart and give you big enough discounts to make it worth while to at least check it out.

I don't think Florida had one last year. I usually shop the sales all summer for Maranda's school clothes. It's easy when the weather isn't that seasonal.

Kelly's Ideas said...

I know what you mean - I feel so pretty and special when by bag is trimmed with a lacy ribbon...

Love,
Kelly
http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

a corgi said...

LOL; I live in Calif. The state is cash poor; we never have tax free weekends, but I hear a lot of states that do and how much is bought during that time! I think you should, if you can, definitely take advantage of it and especially visit Coldwater Creek :)

enjoy

betty

Christie said...

I'm just like you and feel I would much rather save my $8 for every $100 I spent just to save on the tax. One thing that I do sometimes during tax free weekend if I do shop is just wait until an hour or so before they close or go first thing when they open. Usually they aren't as crowded from 8-9 at night and that way you know you wont be spending forever in the store. I usually check Target and Walmart out late too. Good luck if you decide to go!

Joan said...

Betty ~ I keep hearing how much difficulty California is having. =( I do know that we parted with a few dollars toward the CA economy when we drove through there.

Christie ~ I am definitely going to Coldwater Creek again. I love the clothes.

the.fortes said...

I shopped yesterday in NC. It was crazy. I didn't know it was tax free weekend and Target seemed MUCH more crowded than a normal Friday. To top it out we live near 3-4 major universities and I think next weekend is the official move-in, but I saw tons of people gearing up for college...I may brave Sam's Club today. Pray for me....

Oklahoma Granny said...

I usually stay away from stores on a tax-free weekend but yesterday we had to make a trip to Tulsa and when we drive that far I have to take advantage the shopping opportunity. So we ended up at a few stores and the crowd situation wasn't really too bad.

Joan said...

C.Forte ~ I hope you make it out of Sam's in one piece!