Thursday, August 06, 2009

Ten Things Thursday

Ten reasons why I blog

Why do you write a blog? I ask because Julie Powell at What Could Happen wrote an article about her “Julie/Julie” experience for the Atlantic. Article is here.

She got me thinking about why it is that I blog. Am I narcissistic, self-absorbed? Do I really think the world is curious about my life? Do I think I’m going to get a book deal? Maybe yes, to the first two questions, and a definite no to that last.

Ten reasons? Boy I’m not sure I can come up with ten reasons.

1. I want my family to be able to keep up with our lives and to be able to see in it pictures!

2. I want a running timeline of pictures and ideas.

3. I want to be able to meet, via other blogs, people who share my interests and learn from them.

4. I want to practice writing every day in some way, shape, or form.

5. I like how social media is changing the world and when I am 70 I want to be part of it and not afraid of it.

6. I want to be able to teach my students about blogging and set up a blog just for our classroom (invite only of course.)

7. I want to teach my daughters to blog, eventually, and the importance of chronically or lives.

8. I enjoy it!

9. This summer, blogging has really kept me busy in a meaningful way.

10. I like that blogging has changed how I think about my daily life, how I take my camera everywhere now, how I see the story I want to tell.

Socrates said “An unexamined life is not worth living” and I have always believed that it true. Having this blog has helped me keep that examination going strong on a daily basis.

6 comments:

The Thrifty Countrywoman said...

Those are good reasons. I also hope that by revealing a little bit about my life, I can help people that are struggling financially. Let them see someone that has been there and done that. Maybe it will give someone hope.

Angela said...

I started my blog because of my Etsy shop...now, I hardly ever talk about my shop! I agree with you...it is just a nice way to express myself.

I feel like I can say just what I want to say...

I am also surprised to say that I have really made some real friends through my blog. (Even though I have never really met any of them)

I have also used it to go back to see things like...when is the last time I had my hair cut, when is the last time I gave my dogs a bath, how long has it been since I took a sick day from work...it just helps me keep up with stuff.

...and after reading Julie and Julia I did have a "book deal fantasy" for about 30 seconds.

Have a great day!

a corgi said...

I'm with you on #10; I think "oh, this would be a good blog entry". I think we blog because we want to connect with others through the computer screen. And it is fun to hear about other parts of the country and other people's lives, and to realize all of us, no matter where we live, are basically just the same, trying to enjoy life the best we can with family and friends

I enjoyed reading your 10 reasons for blogging :)

betty

Joan said...

Those are some great comments. I love what you gals have added.

Thrifty ~ I have another blog for work (teacher) and it is there I hope to share and teach what I know. Here I just simply want to share and connect.

Angela ~ your art is really cool.

Betty ~ I too believe we all really want the same things. I try to remember that when the TV news wears me out.

Christie said...

I LOVE your number 10! I feel the exact same way. I have even found myself carrying a lil notebook around with me all the time just to jot down my notes/thoughts. I like #9 too..I think it's been a fun challenge learning all the ins/outs of blogging, and has definitely kept me busy this summer. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner. =)

shawna said...

i just love to express myself too, and i am going to have it printed...have yet to figure that out. i have been blogging a year now. maybe some great grandkid will find it amusing in like 25 years what i wrote in 2009...

and we pronounce aenon's name like shannon without the "sh". it is actually a place on the river jordan where christ was baptised. i believe phonetically it is pronounced "eenon", however "aesthetic" is pronounced with the "a" sound. i am sure we are breaking a few rules, but she has a common last name, so why not make it interesting?