Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fall garden


I finally got into the front gardens today and tamed the unruly Russian sage. I love that stuff but it is insane! I chopped back four plants and filled one trash can.


I purposely did not take pictures because the previous owner of our home, who reads this blog, might freak out. =) I'm assured, by a garden guru, that it will grow back even more lovely in the spring.


I had a little thing go through my head and heart as I was chopping sage. I was removing a lot of dead stuff and worried that it might not grow back so lovely in the spring. Then I thought that would be OK because I could plant something else and it would be lovely; different, but lovely.


It occurred to me I need to do the same in my life. There is old, dead stuff I need to get rid of because it is keeping me from growing. I'm rarely that deep when I'm working in the garden. So, I'm going to concentrate on being still and listening to the whispers...

Off subject, but isn't this wonderful? This guy was a little 8" pot just a few months ago. Man of the house and I have decided that we are going to plant some around parts of the fence (on the outside, away from corgis) and hopefully it will create a natural screen.

10 comments:

the.fortes said...

The sage was WAY more insane than we ever thought when we planted it and I totally wouldn't freak out if you chopped it to stubble. I did it several times! It is just unruly as you said. Hey, it's your garden now and if you want to change out plants that is fine with me:). I enjoy seeing improvements and I have a totally black thumb, so go crazy!

a corgi said...

I like your fall decorations, Joan! I think it was neat how you spent the day gardening and at the same time thinking/mediating! I hope you continue to work on those things in your life that need de-cluttering or are dead and need to be dealt with, etc

betty

Marilee Burks said...

Joan, the grass bush is beautiful. But, there's a reason it would fit in the small pot just a little while ago.. they grow FAST and BIG! We had several of them in our back yard in Olympia and after a few years they had grown so big that to cut them down for the winter (otherwise the dead grass blows all over the yard) we would have to tie a rope around the base of them and use the chain saw! Ok, a little overkill, lol,, but multiple plants are pretty tiring sawing by hand. That said, I do love the beauty of the grass moving in the wind! I'm just not sure I'd plant a lot of them again. Hope this helps. marilee

Joan said...

Marilee ~ thanks for the "warning"!

Lyndsey said...

It looks very nice, I like the fall decorations too. I think the grass plant is perfect, hopfully you can use it for a natural screen. Let us know how that works.

We have a Bougainvillea bush out front by our driveway that gets out of control. Our yard guys chopped it way down. I was so surprised how well it came back. You just have to know when to cut it so it will still blossom.

Oklahoma Granny said...

I love your decorations and the other plants in your garden. I'm so glad I read the comments. I was wondering what the name of that last plant was. Now that I know I think I'll have to check into them next spring.

Marilee Burks said...

I believe it is called Pampas Grass. A smaller grass plant I love is called Bunny Fountain Grass.

Melinda said...

Your decorations are perfect!!!

shawna said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your little ghost guy!! think i might just have to make me one for next year!!
happy halloween!!!

Carrie said...

You can wack the Russian Sage and it will love you next spring. Also, just a tip on the Pampas Grass...may want to move it away from the house. they grow huge!
P.S. the corgis are very photogenic! almost innocent looking :)