Friday, July 09, 2010

A surprise in the mail...

Yesterday I made my daily trek across the lawn to the mailbox. I sorted through a stack of junk mail, a few catalogs, a new EOB from the doc ( I have officially met and exceeded my deductible! ), and I came across a little envelope from the land of Enchantment. "Who do I know with that address?"  I asked myself.


In the envelope was a sweet note from a fellow blogger. She wanted me to know she has been inspired by my journey. Her note made me realize how often and how deeply we touch each other. Long ago we wrote notes and letters and kept our connections in that way. Many of us still write and stamp envelopes and make treks to the mailbox. 

Today, so many of us choose to blog, facebook, and email. I used to feel it was easy and superficial. But these are the days we live in. And that little note in the mail, reminded me that it is not the medium, but the message that is important. (OK, I stole that last part from Marshall McLuhan but it is true!)

7 comments:

Annie Jones said...

How nice for you! I love getting "real mail".

But I also love email from friends, too.

Okie Book Woman said...

Those written notes that come in the mail are so special. I've been surprised and gratified by the friendships I've developed through email, facebook, and blogs. Although different from past ways of getting to know people, these are all very effective.

Kathy said...

It's wonderful to be thought of....no matter how the message arrives.

Cathryn said...

I love using the old-fashioned paper and pen method of telling someone how much they mean to me and why. It makes things a bit more special, even if someone has reached out to me via the Internet! :D

JenW!~ said...

I have 3 pen pals. I love hearing from them and enjoy writing to them.

That corgi :) said...

that was sweet of your blogging friend to write an encouraging letter to you, Joan!! it is really neat to get a note like that in the mail indeed! You are so right with email/facebook/blogs etc we have lost that personal touch of letter writing. Bet the majority of kids growing up these days would be clueless how to write a personal letter like that and mail it. I know they say that soldiers look forward to mail call to hear their name being called out with a letter/package. That can't happen through a computer for sure.

betty

The Castro Family said...

How cool is that?!?! Snail mail can make a whole week better!!