Thursday, July 08, 2010

A work in progress


The man of the house has been building a retaining wall around the pool. There is still a lot of work to do, but he has made really good progress. We still need sod and will get that in before fall. The red dirt area to the right might be more patio. I like the little corgi prints from the pool across the patio. 


On this side we are working on a rock garden and I have a little patio garden that is hanging in there. 


I really like this area that man of the house put together. The grasses are not doing real well, but the oleander has some blooms.


I put some hibiscus in the rock garden and they are in bloom every morning. I just love them.


The potted plant is mexican heather, love it! I cannot remember what the other plant is, but it has wonderful purple flowers. We are going to add a vertical trellis here and plant mandevilla.


Mandevilla waiting to be planted.


Patio Tomatoes


The patio garden I have not killed yet. That is an accomplishment for me!


Man of the house built this little garden outside our bedroom window a few weeks ago. We need some sod here too and I think we are going to build a path along the garden. 


Last spring a generous friend gave me some ugly, dead-looking stalks. She promised they would be wonderful, and just sick them in the ground. The corgis chewed up a few of them before I planted them, but this guy survived and I love it!

If you have any ideas for me about our pool area and gardens, I would love to hear them!

7 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

What a wonderful and peaceful place to relax. You are very blessed.

Angela said...

Hi! The pictures look pretty but I can not read the words on my computer :( They are almost the same color as the background and I just can't see what you are saying :(

Joan said...

Angela ~ the font color is a dark brown on a tan background. I hope it's just a glitch.

Carrie said...

Very pretty. Hope you are aware that oleanders are poisonous. Don't let the corgis chew.

That corgi :) said...

all looks wonderful, Joan; looks like a lot of hard work with the wall, but I'm sure when it is done it will look great!! amazed at how green the grass is!! and what a big piece of land you have. Here in California we are always conserving water so our grass never looks that good

betty

rheumablog said...

Your gardens and pool area -- and lawn! -- are just lovely, Joan! You have a real "touch" with your plants and garden design. It's all going to be beautiful, green and inviting for many, many years to come. Bravo!
-Wren

Cathryn said...

I'd come to relax at your house! I love the gardens and the pool. I love the free-flowing garden designs! Lots of love are going into this home.