Monday, July 05, 2010

The year I met my deductible...


I have a few EOBs (explanation of benefits) in the mail, and by the time I get those, I will have easily met my deductible. I have never done that before. Ever! This year changed everything...

On Wednesday I had the HIDA scan and it was interesting. I had to lay under a machine that took pictures as a radioactive dye made its way through my liver, gallbladder, and upper part of the small intestine. I got to watch it and the whole thing took about two hours. 

On Thursday, man of the house gave me my Humira shot. He did a really good job and I am in his debt.

Friday I got a call from my doctor that the HIDA scan was normal, but my GI symptoms pointed to a possible ulcer. She put me on prescription strength prilosec. I am so relieved not to have to have surgery. Also, another liver enzyme panel was done and the numbers were normal. Yay!

So, how do I feel? The RA has calmed down a lot. The inflammation is gone but there is some stiffness. Most importantly, I am not in pain. I'm still having GI troubles, but hopefully the meds and a new diet (start tomorrow) will take care of that little problem. Overall I feel pretty good and I am grateful for insurance!

7 comments:

Oklahoma Granny said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better.

Kathy said...

Good for you! I am so glad we have insurance too and I feel so sad for people that don't have that benefit. Hope the new diet helps!

Cathryn said...

This is indeed good news! Wooooooooohooooooooo! I'm rooting for you and the new diet!

Dawn said...

Popped over from Heidi's blog because I saw that you are from Oklahoma as well. I just found Heidi on The Oklahoma Bloggers Club site.
I seem to be blog hopping today! LOL!

I live in OK as well. I hope you'll stop by my blog(s) sometime. I blog at Dawn's Diversion and The RHOK ~ Real Housewives of Oklahoma www.therhok.com.

I'm glad you are doing okay. We meet our deductible every. single.year. Blah!

That corgi :) said...

glad you don't need any surgery right now Joan!! hoping everything settles down for you health wise so you can enjoy fully the days of your summer break!! it is good to have insurance, isn't it? truly a blessing when we need it!!

betty

eje said...

Glad your feeling good. :-)

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

~Elizabeth

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you are feeling better - I hate it when friends are hurting.