Sunday, October 03, 2010

Taking the time...

I totally stole this idea from Mrs. Howard at The Education of Mrs. Howard. I encourage you to peek in at her writing. She has a wonderful voice.

Taking the time...

to be thankful.

Instead of wishing my class of kids were not so challenging this year...
   I will remind myself that I should be challenging them as much as they challenge me!

Instead of wishing I did not have to close up the pool...
   I will look forward to a fire in the fireplace soon.

Instead of wishing I could move back home...
   I will be grateful for the friendships here; in their infancy, but growing stronger.

Instead of wishing I did not have to take a handful of pills every morning...
   I am grateful that one keeps me grounded, one keeps me moving, one keeps me nourished, and one
   keeps me from living in constant pain.

Speaking of pain...

I am not so cliche that I will say something like, "Oh, I'm glad I got this disease (rheumatoid arthritis) because it has taught me to be grateful and .....blah, blah, blah..." No, I'm not grateful I have this disease. It hurts and every day I see what it has and is doing to my body. But, I will say, having a chronic, incurable disease, has made me look at life differently.

Instead of wishing away this disease....
   I will refuse to give in and despite it, I will keep going, keep moving, give in now and then and just say  "@#$##@#$%%!!!!!!"

5 comments:

Mrs. H said...

instead of wishing I lived right down the 6th grade hall from you....I will be thankful I can keep in touch online.

Oklahoma Granny said...

Looking at a situation as being a glass that is half full is always a better way than seeing the glass as half empty. Thanks for the reminder.

That corgi :) said...

it is always good to look ahead and at what we have to work with rather than wishing what we can't have or have to do away with temporarily (like closing up the pool; you'll blink and it will be next summer)

betty

Stitching n Shipping said...

Love your post today! I'm not grateful for the RA either but it has taught me many things about myself. Brava to all teachers for you are dearly under valued! Tammy

Wren said...

A terrific attitude to take toward the rheuma, Joan. It's a very tough disease to cope with, and though I'm like you in not wanting to be grateful for it, I DO try to acknowledge the things I've learned about myself because of it. Like the fact that I have a lot more courage than I'd ever have believed. And more patience, too.

And so do you. :o)