Thursday, May 26, 2011

Picking up the pieces...

The clock in my classroom stopped at 5:32 p.m. I worked all day in the dim light cast through my open windows. Outside I could hear chain saws and heavy equipment. We took candles to the restrooms. We gathered, staff and faculty, in the lightest places; the main hallway, the cafeteria, to talk, catch up, "you ok?", "did you get hit?"

The interior of our building is ok. There is no damage in my room at all. The maintenance crew tromped on the roof all day long. There's damage there, but they will get it fixed. 

Today I will try to reach all my kid's parents to let them know they can bring their kiddos by tomorrow morning to get their things. I look forward to seeing them as my own class on last time. 

This page, this local guy, has done a wonderful job covering the aftermath for our community.



Please visit and see what we are dealing with. And thank for the prayers, comments, and thoughts.

8 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

What a bad way to end the year.

Intense Guy said...

*hugs*

Thinking about you from afar - is there anything someone 1,000 miles away can do? Let us know...

Lindsey said...

From one Okie to another - sending prayers your way.

Kelly L said...

So sorry you and your community had to go through so much - I just can not imagine...
Love to you -
Kelly
I've become my mother.

Whosyergurl said...

HUGS to you. I'm glad that you (and your classroom) wasn't hurt! We've had a lot of wind but we are o.k., too.
xo, Cheryl

farmlady said...

I am so glad that school was not in session when the tornado hit.
What a frightening thing this must be for your town.
I send prayers, good thoughts and the hope that there will be no more tornadoes in your area.

Teachinfourth said...

Holy Hannah...

Lyndsey said...

I always think of you Joan when I hear of bad weather going through Oklahoma. My thoughts are with you at this time too. It will be nice to see your class again.