Sunday, November 06, 2011

Rock and roll...

In the past 36 hours, Oklahoma has been experiencing an earthquake swarm. Very early Saturday morning a 4.7 woke up Moth (man of the house) and older daughter. I had just woken up when suddenly Moth came running into the bedroom all excited about what he had just experienced. I think the earthquake woke me, but I don't remember feeling it.
From: publicbroadcasting.net

Last night, at 10:57, the 5.8 hit and that I felt! I was in bed, on the computer when it started. I jumped out of bed and Moth and I got the girls in the hallway and under a door frame. I have learned since that we need to be under a table. Hopefully I won't have to get under anything because I have experienced enough of the ground undulating under my feet!

In the past two years we have had flooding, blizzards, an ice storm, record tornadoes, serious drought, and record high temperatures. I think we are pretty safe from tsunamis, but there is an extinct volcano in New Mexico and a caldera in Colorado. So, what's next?

8 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I did hear about the earth moving and shaking in your part of the country Joan!!

It is an interesting time we are living in indeed!

betty

Oranoo said...

This has been one crazy year of weather and ground shifting, and that earth quake last night really scared me.

deb aka abcsofra said...

Mother Nature will have her way no matter what. So all we can do is be prepared and wait but I never wonder too much as there is no sense. We got the hurricanes in these here parts. I just go with the flow. And I lived in So. Calif. which is prone to earthquakes. All I did was be sure to have shoes by my bed at night.

Teachinfourth said...

But you're still here, and THAT'S what's important.

Oklahoma Granny said...

Our oldest grandson called about 2am Saturday morning to see if we'd felt the first earthquake. I didn't even hear the phone ring. We're pretty sound sleepers and the dogs didn't even notice. But then last night when the second one hit, we'd just gotten into bed. I thought there was a really loud train going by. (We live about a mile or so from the train tracks.) Nope! The dogs went nuts and my husband said we'd just had another earthquake. He'd experienced them when he was a kid and his family lived in Japan. I've talked to a couple of my friends and they both commented that they felt dizzy just before it hit. Strange, huh?

Whosyergurl said...

CRAZY stuff! I hope you, your loved ones, your home are o.k.!
xo,
Cheryl

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you are okay!!

We've not only had weird weather - we've had earthquakes too (I keep telling my mom "earthquakes aren't weather!!" and she keeps saying "It's on the weather Channel!!"

Ninny said...

Mother nature sure gave us the Full Monty last Monday night, didn't she? Tornadoes, hail, floods, an earthquake, and a full moon...all in the same day. Saturday night's earthquake was the first I have ever felt. I sat on the sofa literally stunned and didn't move, LOL. Now I have an earthquake tracker on my iphone. Only in Oklahoma...4warn radar and an earthquake tracker, just in case. Like they say, if you don't like the weather in Oklahoma, just wait five minutes.