Friday, December 23, 2011

RA Flare

When the inflammation arrives I feel swollen and hot. The flare of Rheumatoid Arthritis is relentless. My joints feel like glass, everything hurts, I wince more often than smile. The pain brings with it a gloom that settles around me like a lazy cat, curls itself around my body and posits its weight on my soul.

My illness (virus) last month meant a delay in injection, and that meant a chance of reactivating the disease. It woke with a vengeance. Because the disease is so fickle, there's a chance the injection I take won't work again. I (repeat I!!!) gave myself my shot last week. I know relief is never immediate, its often snail-like, so I am patiently waiting.

Meanwhile, I weigh carefully my activities. Will Christmas shopping put me in my recliner for the day? Can my hands handle the baking of cookies, making of candy? Each day is more difficult than the last. Today I find that this typing is a chore.  

I see my RA doctor next week. I know that alternatives to "wait and see" are limited. My liver gets unhappy with some of the drugs, my tummy, with others. It's been two years since I had a steroid shot, so maybe that is an option.

I've been contemplating what changes to make in my life to ease my efforts, and increase my quality. I need minimal choices, help from my family, and less stress. I'm grateful I have this wonderful, long holiday break to work on those things. Hopefully I will return to work with a bit less pain and better attitude.

7 comments:

Mr. Hughes said...

I am sitting here reading this and can feel your sadness. I am praying that this holiday season will allow you to have a reprieve from your pain. I wish I could make it all better, but I can't. I can tell you that you are in our prayers and that we are wishing you a very merry Christmas. Here is a virtual hug from my family to you...
:)

Intense Guy said...

:(

I hope you find some respite from the hurtin' and have a smile this weekend.

...and I hope even more fervently, that your pain goes away forever with the next shot, whenever and whatever it might be.

I wish you a Merry Christmas - and the Happiest of New Years...
*Hugs*

Territory Mom said...

I dropped by to wish you a Merry Christmas. Bless your heart going through so much. Has your doctor mentioned going gluten free. I know it helps some people with RA. I bet you have heard everything. If you need help with GF let me know. We are working towards it in my house. Praying for you to have a great new year.

Wren said...

Awww, Joan, I'm so sorry you're in such pain--and at this especially busy and often stressful time of year, just when we need the most comfort and joy.

I wish you both this weekend. And I hope you have some serious painkillers on hand, too. Merry Christmas to you and your family. May you soon feel much, much better.

Hugs for you.

Jill of All Trades said...

I am so sorry for your pain. Feel better and Merry Christmas to you and yours. Carla

Okie Book Woman said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I hope your family will help you get through the bad days, and that the bad days are limited. (You are a good writer; I loved your lazy cat metaphor!) Merry Christmas to you and your family.

The Lady in Pred said...

Praying for you Joan, that relief comes soon. So sorry. I hope you had a sweet Christmas day. RA is so hard and can make the holidays so bittersweet.
Sherry